Last Sunday the Phoenix Tools Ifly Premier Motocross Championship took on yet another new venue to the Championship for the penultimate round and that was Yarley Moto Park, Nr Wells in Somerset. The sun was out in all its glory and water had to be used early morning to dampen the track which was to rut up in places as the day progressed, but never the less it was to produce some good racing.

In the Pro Expert class entries were a bit lower than normal as many had gone to France for the Des Nations, but for those that hadn’t there was some good racing to be witnessed. Championship leader Shane Carless on the Oakleaf Motorsport Honda had set the fastest time in Qualifying and looked to be in top form as he was to have the holeshot in the opening race, but right on his tail was the Phoenix Tools Ifly Husqvarna of Alfie Smith (Pictured No 17) who was in a real hurry and was to pass Carless on the opening lap and really had the throttle wound back. Jamie Skuse on the Tony Maunders Racing Suzuki was there in 3rd and was all over Carless for the first couple of laps, but as the race progressed Carless had dealt with the constant pressure from Skuse and was to start to ease away, but he wasn’t going to catch Smith who was flying and went on to take the win by 23 seconds. In the second moto this time Smith hit the front from the off from Skuse and Carless with Smith again in fast mode as he was to get away again at the front. Carless was up in to 2nd by the end of the opening lap, but he didn’t have an answer to Smith who lap by lap increased his advantage at the front. Wildcard Luke Dean on the Meredith Suzuki who didn’t have the best of starts was soon up in to 5th and was all over Kelvin Townsend on the Tony Maunders Racing Yamaha which turned in to a really good tussle for several laps, with Dean getting the better of Townsend on the last lap to take 4th behind Skuse, Carless and runaway winner Smith. In the last race it looked as if Smith had the best start, but as they got to the top of the hill Skuse powered past to take the lead, but this was short lived as when they came back in to view it was Smith from Skuse and the D S C Cornwall Kawasaki of Sunny Thompson. Carless was well down the field after totally missing the start, but was soon on the gas and was to gradually ease his way up through the field. Smith was well clear again at the front by lap 10 from Skuse, but up in to 3rd just 8 seconds adrift was now Carless who was closing in all the time. Skuse was to slow on lap 11 after catching his Knee on a bank which let Carless close right up and with just 2 laps remaining Carless went pass the injured Skuse and up in to 2nd, but he wasn’t going to catch Smith who made it a hat trick of wins.pic 1

In the Expert class things had all changed at the top at the last round so the battle was to commence and in the opening race it was Jake Penny who had the early lead from wildcard Darren Banwell on the M D Racing KTM and Championship leader on the D S C Cornwall Kawasaki Ben Butler (Pictured No 75) but by the end of the opening lap Banwell and Butler had found away pass Penny and were to start to ease away, with Butler all over Banwell for several laps until on lap 5 when a slight mistake from Banwell was all it took for Butler to take the lead and from there went on to take the win from Banwell with Penny taking 3rd. In the second moto it was Butler from the off from the 2-stroke Tony Maunders Racing KTM of James Kensington and Banwell. Butler was in fine form and was soon to ease away at the front, Banwell was to move up in to 2nd after a mistake from Kensington on lap 2, but as with the opening race had to settle for 2nd behind Butler who showed his class with Penny again coming home in 3rd. In the last race this time it was Banwell who had the early lead from Butler and these two were to have a battle royal for several laps with Banwell not giving an inch until lap 4 when Butler got the inside line at a slow right hander and through went Butler, but Banwell was to stay with him in this one and on lap 9 was to pile the pressure on Butler which was to work as Banwell forced himself in to the lead over one of the jumps and from there went on to take the win and denie Butler a clean sweep with Penny consistant again taking 3rd.

pic 3


In the Over 35 Championship class there was no stopping wildcard Ben Harmon on the M D Racing Honda in the first 2 races who took both wins from Championship leader on the Gibbs Performance / St Blazey Yamaha of Nick Life, but in race 3 when Harmon was chasing Life on the opening lap Harmon was to go over the handlebars when his front wheel dug in at the bottom of one of the hills which was to let Life get away and from there took the win and with it he had done enough to be declared 2015 M D Racing Over 35 Champion.

In the Over 40’s class the day belonged to the Crescent / New Milton Tyres Suzuki of Terry House (Pictured No 49) who took a fine hat trick of wins with Championship leader Chris Brown on the Cheddar Mx Store Kawasaki taking a hat trick of 2nd places to hold on to his Championship lead, but House has cut Brown’ lead to just 9 points as they go to the final round in 3 weeks time at Landrake with it all to play for.

In the Over 50’s there was no messing a bout for Championship leader and defending Champion Mark Gleadhill who was to notch up yet another hat trick of wins and was then to his surprise declared 2015 M D Racing Over 50’s Champion again with a round to spare.

pic 5

In the Junior Championship class again as with other rounds there were many wildcard entries all out to beat Championship leader young 16 year old Jamie Carpenter on the Phoenix Tools Ifly Husqvarna. Jamie had set the fastest time in qualifying and was well on the gas and was to yet again blitz the rest of the field in all 3 races to take yet another hat trick of wins and with it had wrapped up the Championship to become Tyremarks Junior Champion 2015.


Report and Photos by Dave Rich